Right Click and Save As

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Click and Save As

The software that we use for the message has just released a new patch. We are finally able to disable the "Save As" function when you right click on an image. We've wanted to do this for quite some time because we don't require someone to become a member to view the photos and there are a lot of unscrupulous people who would just surf in, download the photos they want to turn into a pattern and disappear.

That does mean that if you are giving away a pattern, you will have to load it on your site and post a link here, or upload it as a PDF, but I think it will protect the copyright of all the great designers and scrollers who post photos of their work here.

Thanks Rob for setting this up for us.

Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Hi Bob;
    Does that mean all pictures in the entire site or just ones in the gallery.
    The reason I ask is (just out of curioity) I right clicked on your avatar picture and selected save picture as and I was able to send it anywhere on my computer.
    I am not sure if the same thing applies in the gallery because I don't have time to go there with my slow dial up service.
    W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Right now it's just the gallery, but we're researching how to apply it to attachments as well.

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

ok with that in mind Bob how hard is it to put something in a PDF format having never dont that before
        Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

Even though i don't make patterns i totally agree with this, i used to draw caricatures and cartoons years ago and sold quite a few, to friends mostly, and i have seen in certain drinking establishment's where i live some of "my" work that has been copied and sold.It can take a designer or artist many hours work to produce one piece of work but only seconds to "right click and save". So well done Rob & Bob.
          Wow i need a lie down after that.
          kevin/pitbull.

Comment

Daryl,
            Most photo software can save a file as a pdf...it's a pretty generic format. There is no preview function for a pdf, so you may need to upload a jpg so people can see what it looks like before they download it...

Bob
            www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Inkscape (which is free to download and is a nifty program that's worth having anyway ) can save graphics in pdf format.

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
              (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Dang, I didn't know you could do that stuff. LOL. now I missed out. ow well. I am not a theif anyways. I would have saved all of you guy's pictures thow. ark ark, just kidding. your friend Evie

Comment

Glad that you did that Bob
                  Diane
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Good steps to be taken indeed! But now I can't pull up Jedi's patterns in here and Corel them to find the # of cuts! LOL Seriously, it's a great tool to be able to implement. Sharing is good, stealing is not, and anything we can do to protect the labour that goes into patterns by designers is positive.
                    There's also a program out there that installs a "print driver" so anything you can print, you can save as a pdf. You simply print and select the pdf driver as the printer. I use it all the time and there are other security features you can implement. PDF995 It's freeware and has a little nuisance advertising that you can get rid of if you pay for the program.
                    Shoot for the moon. If you miss you'll be headed for a star! www.80artdesigns.com

Comment

photo saving

Here bill, heres a fella that is Bobs twin brother, you could save him with Bob! Dale (striking resemblance huh?)
                      Attached Files
                      Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

Disabling a right click is a start, Bob. But is there a way of disabling the keyboard shortcut to capture the screen grab? If there isn't then it's almost as easy for anyone unscrupulous to copy pictures.
                        Last edited by PuzzledMoose; 01-26-2007, 07:19 AM.
                        Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Amazon and other big companies have been able to do that, but we don't have those resources. We're trying, but that takes some resource...

BTW, I removed the reference to the shortcuts from your post...if someone doesn't know how to do that, lets not tell them <GRIN>

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I removed the post Bob - thought it had been done last night but it seemed to reappear - and I didn't realise you'd edited it ..

Just out of curiousity though I just looked at Amazon and rt-click even still works on their images .. not sure why you'd need to protect book cover s anyhow - or are you referring to something else on their site?
                            Last edited by PuzzledMoose; 01-26-2007, 07:25 AM.
                            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

Rob was telling me about it...it might be in that area where you can digitally page through the book...

I'm not sure about the mechanics, but...

Bob
                              www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                              Working...
                              X