This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac's Opinion of Chastity

I think, that "Chasity" and her short shorts, with the red panties are over the top.

Personally, I think it should come down. I know, Toni is to talented to be working on this kind of art.

These short shorts may belong on Toni's personal web site, but in my opinion they certainly don't belong here unless a change is made.

Take it down...

Mac

I've moved this post here because it has nothing to do with Toni's question. This is a question more about what the members of the message board think regarding censorship of art.

Mac has already sent me an e-mail about his opinions, and when I explained my position on it, he decided to open it up to the entire message board.

Be aware that the moderators and I will be monitoring this thread carefully. I placed it here because it falls more under the maintenance of the message board not about the specific piece in question.

Bob Duncan
    Technical Editor
    www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I have no problem with "Chastity" and find it MUCH less "risque" than several of the portraits in the galleries. Leave it up.
      ‎"Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They're easier to ignore before you see their faces. It's easier to pretend they're not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes."

D. Platt

Comment

I too have no problem with Toni's "Chasity" and as Barry stated there are several more that are more "risque" then this piece to be found in the gallery.

My vote is leave it up.
        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Walk into any museum (well, any decent museum) in the world and you'll find far less clad examples of the human form. Step into the United States Department Of Justice and take a look at the Spirit of Justice statue designed by Paul Jennewein and has been on display since 1936.
          If you don't like it, there's no need to look, much less try to prevent others from enjoying an outstanding display of artistry and woodworking.
          I guess you know where I stand on the issue.
          Kevin
          Scrollsaw Patterns Online
          Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

I agree totally with everything Kevin just said, and find nothing offensive or inappropriate with posting it here.
            Ian

Scrolling with a Dewalt 788

Comment

wooohooo and right on to supporting this piece by Toni..really! Chastity is a well done piece that implies more then shows..that it is offensive..well, I disagree totally with that..but then I still enjoy life's little hints and as I've said before..I do wish that I had a waist line like that!

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

I come from a newspaper background, and nothing grates me more than even the suggestion of censorship.

My managing editor was constantly getting calls from people about me...how I would ask the hard questions, call the coronor to see if the person who died at home was a natural death, a suicide, or an accident...and fougth tooth an nail when I felt like I was being censored.

My thoughts for the forum...and I totally invite people to offer their opinions as well...is that art is art. Many people have brought up the wonderful nudes that artists throughout history have created. This is no different.

Let me be honest...I would probably object to a full-frontal nude....letting it all hang out. But I have no problem with this wonderful piece.

Bob
                www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

"Too talented to be working on this kind of art", Mac that confuses me.
                  What kind of art should I be working on?

You have stated your comments on the project, I heard your "take it down". So did others who you complained to and they answered you. Thank you for your feed back. Too bad it wasn't regarding my original question on the finishing and colour of Chastity's jeans. That's were you would have been of assistance.

You seem a little annoyed at my comment of the "red silks", and perhaps I should explain that comment. As I believe Sharon said, she had to look for a moment to see if there was a belt, my comment about the "red silks" was for those who may not have been able to make out the photo a the angle it was taken since it was on the workbench. The red may have not been recognizable without an explaination.

Some time back I posted a comment with a link to "Every Woman", another lifeform that has a flash presentation. It was to raise awareness for breast cancer. I have also posted photos of a full nude, a woman looking back over her shoulder in toward a mirror, titled "Looking Back". That piece was for all the women who perhaps miss the look of youth.... this is the art I enjoy. I create this art with my scrollsaw. I am a scroller. This is a scrolling forum. You have commented that you are not a scoller but a finisher and I understand there may be less of this "art" on finishing forums.... perhaps that is your comfort zone.

Take care
                  Toni

Comment

I didn't really look that closely at Chastity the first time.....now that I've taken a closer look....I REALLY like her!!!!! I wouldn't change anything Toni....great work!!!!
                    If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

I'm not sure why a full frontal nude would be offensive. There are plenty of nude portraits and statues in galleries and museums which are open to all. If some people choose to focus on certain aspects of anatomy rather than others and then object, I think they're the ones with the problems, not the artist.

At the turn of the last century Toulouse Lautrec produced this poster:

He was condemned for it by people who said he was portraying a man cavorting with a whore. Lautrec replied that the couple in the portrait were getting dressed to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary at a family dinner and he bitterly resented any accusations of impropriety.

I must confess that 'Chastity' doesn't do much for me but I can see why it might appeal to other people. What I find more important is that Toni and Sue are pushing the boundaries of scrolling with innovative projects. Sometimes I think they've delivered the goods and sometimes I think they haven't, but I'm always grateful that they're prepared to push the envelope and make us look at how we can take our scrolling to new levels. Chrestensen Burghout designs enrich this forum and I think we're very fortunate indeed to have such imaginative and active contributors among us. Long may they continue to be provocative!

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Thank you

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

I see nothing wrong with it.
                          Toni you did a great job on it.

Bob
                          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

When I first saw 'Chastity' my wife was looking at the boards with me. She had the same opinion of this piece as I did, and that it is designed to be provocative, but is also tasteful at the same time. We both really like this project. I'm just sorry that I don't have more experience in segmentation (yet) to offer any sort of advice that I would consider helpful.

Keep up the great work.
                            Jim
                            DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

May I add my dollars worth here?=I am going to anyway==
                              Toni did a excelent job on her "Chasity"- It is ART- Note that obsenety is showing 2 people making mad passionate whoopy -- not my cup of tea there- but GOD made the human body and he made it nude- I believe that it was a wicked serpant that made us think the way we do on sexuality and nudity.
                              Being in the hospital more times than I care to count I have come to disregard the need to be shy or embarrased about my old wrinkled body- everyone has one and if you can get "turned on " looking at art them maybe you shouldn't look.
                              Toni was not out making a sexual jester on her piece-- that was my comment on the belt -meant to be a bad taste at humor-= If you look at her piece and are bothered then why enjoy art at all-- seem I recall several nudes and sexually explicid pieces hanging up in a great cathaderal somewhere. I stand behind any artisit right of freedom of interpation on their piece- But what I do find offensive is the people that would be so blind as to not be able to tell the difference-- maybe it is the mind that views it that needs to be checked===
                              Sharon --
                              And here is your change back on my 2 dollar voice- gee that felt good.. Hope this isn't deleted.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X