looking for pyramide plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for pyramide plans

hello everyone im a new member but i've been scrolling for a few years now.I just bought the new scrollsaw workshop magazine and saw Volker Arnolds christmas pryramide in it and was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction as far as getting a plan to build one of them.Thanks for any help you can give

jonw

Here is a source for that style of pattern http://www.designwood.de/englisch/openstore.htm
    True European designs

Pyramid patterns range from $7 -$35
    Lots of other scrolling patterns too
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

If you're referring to the one in the magazine, the plans are in the magazine.

Kevin
      Kevin
      Scrollsaw Patterns Online
      Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

That's it Kevin - tease me mercilessly! I love Christmas pyramids and have quite a collection. Knowing that there's a pattern in this issue of SSW is sheer torture because it hasn't arrived across the pond yet.

Gill
        There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
        (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

kevin thanks but i was refering to the 45" one scrolled by tom sevy. I would love to try one like that.

Jon

Comment

OK, now your question makes sense. Tom sells Volker's patterns, you might try contacting him directly (I believe he's listed on here). Otherwise, let me know and I'll send you his e-mail.

Kevin

Originally posted by jonw
            kevin thanks but i was refering to the 45" one scrolled by tom sevy. I would love to try one like that.

Jon
            Kevin
            Scrollsaw Patterns Online
            Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Is it Just Me

I do not know what it is about those pyramids that makes me cringe so much every time I see one with those candles next to it to make it spin. I know they have been around a long time and I guess people use the candle method but open flame and wood just makes me a little queezy. You have an open flame and hot melted wax and wood with a flamable finish on it. To me not a good combination. I noticed in the magazine it makes the suggestion to use a motor and this brings me to my question. How many use the candle approach and has anyone tried to build them with a motor.??? I think a motor set-up would be very easy to adapt for sure. It would be safer in a long run. Maybe I am too paranoid about lawsuits for today people sue over the smallest things and this has potential of being a big thing.

As far as the design and the thought process I think it is great but to build it more on a music box design would be safer. What do you all think???
              John T.

Comment

Candle flame

I agree with JT 100%. Considering all the other flammable materials that seem to be concentrated in one area at Christmas (tree, packages etc.) an open flame seems to be flirting with disaster. I think the candles and propeller are an integral part of the original concept only because small, battery powered motors were not available when the pattern was conceived. I don't like the propellers either!! Small, battery powered turntables are available at a very reasonable cost that could be easily adapted to the project. Then again.....it's probably like adapting a flintlock rifle to shoot modern cartridges.....it would work, but it just wouldn't be the same!!
                If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

The next step

Well if candles and wood get you hot under the collar and electricity is the way to go, you could also use LED candles, they do look quite good when put behind frosted glass. That way you could get some ambiance too.

Personally I like the real candle idea. I would never run it unattended.
                  I am not sure if tea lights would put off enough heat but they would be safer due to the distance involved.
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                  "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                  Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I guess it finally depends on whether you want something traditional or you want to modernise it with electrics. I am quite happy with the traditional.

Rhys H.

Comment

These have been around for centuries and are perfectly safe, although as Carl says, it's sensible to make sure they're not lit when unattended. If we exercised the extreme caution that's being urged here, we would never use deep fat fryers or cut our hair with sharp scissors. If you want a life that's guaranteed safe, you won't have a life that's worth living.

Gill
                      There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                      (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

In my own opinion, 99 percent of the charm of this kind of thing is the candles and how they magically make the thing turn. I well remember the one my mother set up when I was a tyke. My Dad made sure I learned something from it about hot air rising and how much power it can have.

Most finishes, when cured, are no more inflammable than the unfinished wood would be -- once the spirits vapor off, they are no longer volatile. Some might even stave off combustion by being less likely to burn than wood, and acting to keep oxygen away from the wood. But better to make the pyramid the center of attraction, so there's always an eye on it, and to keep the show brief. Soot will probably build up on the vanes and need to be cleaned off.

Comment

pyramid motors

Hi, I live in Germany and have collected about 30 pyramids from here. About half are scroll saw designs. I am building one and am just about complete with one that is about 9 ft tall. I am planning on using candles this year but would like to modify it to an electric one by next year. The question I have is: does anyone know where to buy a low profile, slow (preferably adjustable speed) direct drive motor (preferably 110 volt) to run this monster? I have a similar electric pyramide to the one I am finishing and love it. Thanks.

Comment

Good for you and you must post some pictures. Now not to mislead you but I would think it would be better if you did a google search and found a distributer over where you live. Is it not that the hertz over there is 50 not like here 60hz. It would be very easy to do with a speed controller. Not sure how much weight you are talking about spinning but there are battery operated motors sold in clock makers catalogs. Anyway looking forward to seeing finish product.

By the way can you please explain your handle?? Curious minds want to know what it means. Thanks.
                            John T.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X