Ivory Soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivory Soap

Has anyone ever heard of using ivory soap to lubricate a scroll saw blade while cutting? An old timer told me about this, any thoughts out there?
    Be the good,
    you want to see in the world...

Not sure of the corrosive action of soap but since we throw out the blades when we are done I cant see too much wrong. I will have to give it a try.
    Those old timers have lots of tricks don't they!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I believe someone posted something about using soap on the forum not to long ago, I only remember that because they said to not use Lava (go figure). Maybe it was for cutting plexiglass or some other non standard material?
      Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Or for washing up after you finish scrolling?
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Then again you could use almost anything, how about slices of bologna, not only do you cut a great piece of work but you get a designer sandwich to boot!

I think I know what I'll do with my dremel now, food art!
          Todd

Hawk G4, Dremel 1800

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

If you used Lava, you wouldn't have to sand after cutting!
            I'll stick with packing tape.
            Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Originally posted by lonepine
              Has anyone ever heard of using ivory soap to lubricate a scroll saw blade while cutting? An old timer told me about this, any thoughts out there?
              I don't know about soap, but a simple clear wax candle will do the job. I usually use clear packing tape. But on occasional thick hardwood pieces I'll try the candle as well.

Comment

I'm still new to some of this but I'm wondering...Soap or wax doesn't mess up the wood when it's time to put on the finish? I've never tried it so don't know.

Comment

Good point I havent used it either, You may be right about the finish.

Strange things are cut with saws. I once worked in an ice arena, Always cold in the shop. We had one guy cut frozen salmon on the table saw. He didnt clean up the dust.
                  Come spring you couldnt even get near the workshop!
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Ivory Soap

Thank you all for your responces, I think I will the the candle.I did try the packing tape and kept getting sawdust under it, it seemed to come loose and fill it up.
                    Be the good,
                    you want to see in the world...

Comment

My question to you is why do you need some sort of soap or candle wax. If it is because of burning then I would check 2 things, one being your saw is set up properly and the blade is true 90 degrees to the table and two check your scrolling technique. Also are you using the right blade for the wood or material you are scrolling. I tell you this I do not use packing tape or any sort of blade enhancer unless I am scrolling some incredibly hard exotic and do not get burning. Sometimes we have to stop and check ourselves and make sure things are the way they are suppose to be. I hear people use the packing tape so to get the print off the wood easier and some say to prevent burning but I always have to question the burning thing. Just curious mind you.
                      John T.

Comment

I have to agree John, on a recent project I was cutting 1" fiddleback maple with a #3 blade. I took it slow, you know about the same speed as an advancing glacier. I had no burns. I will admit that I have had burns before but patience is a virtue, If you cant be patient then you shouldnt be scrolling
                        I know this blade is not one you would normally use for 1" hardwood but it was what I needed to use.
                        A #7 slit it like butter.
                        I used the same #3 blade on a one inch slab of teak....man that sawdust doesnt want to go anywhere with all the oil in the wood. No burning though.

I have heard that lubricating the blade does make it last longer but I have yet to try it. Rounding off the back of the blade helps reduce the friction too. I also hate to admit this but I read in a published book where a scroller removes the burr left from milling with a stone, reducing the bias on the blade. Not sure if I want to try that one.
                        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X