• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soundman
    replied
    Whiskers

BobD,

Great suggestion about using the wire for the whiskers. I just completed this project and it turned out great, and the first thing people comment on is that the whiskers are a nice touch!

One thing with the overall project: I could not find a 1/32 drill bit for the pilot holes, so I ended up using a 1/16. The holes were a little bigger than I cared for, so I borrowed an emory board from my wife's nail file drawer, cut it in half with an exacto knife, and smoothed the drill holes so that they are hardly noticable. As for the clockwise/counterclockwise discussion, I used a #2 blade, tilting the table 2.5 degrees to the left and cut counterclockwise (against the arrows).

Also, I don't have a drill press (yet) so instead of using the forstner bit, I scrolled the hole for the clock. Of course, it was not as perfect as I would have liked, so I shimmed the clock using a few small felt pads until it fit in the hole snugly. The end result was purr-fect! (Sorry, I couldn't help myself )

Love the magazine and the projects...by far the best publication for scrollers of all levels. I'm going to try the "Route 66" sign next.

Leave a comment:

• BobD
    replied
    Jeff,

We posted a correction for that article on the main SSW page, http://www.scrollsawer.com/inthisissue.php

I talked with John, who said he changed his mind about the pattern while cutting it out...but the change didn't make it into the article. In the upcoming issue of SSW, we've included a little jig to help you figure out how to do your relief cutting at a glance.

Thanks for pointing that out though!

As for the whiskers...John just drilled holes in, but I can see drilling holes and inserting stiff black wire, or some other material to simulate the whiskers.

Bob Duncan
    Scroll Saw Workshop

Leave a comment:

• PiALaModem
    replied
    I've given up on left-tilt-right-tilt-clockwise-counterclockwise terminology for this kind of thing. Here's how I describe it:

Tilt the table about x degrees and feed the work so that the part you want to raise is on the uphill side of the blade, or the part you want to sink is on the downhill side of the blade.

This works in all situations, and is much more mnemonic and describes the situation for those who like to tilt left as well as for those who like to tilt right. It's also easier to get your head around than imagining what is "clockwise" on the concave curve of a U-shaped object. When cutting such an object, the workpiece moves both clockwise and counterclockwise while you are supposedly cutting only clockwise (or vice versa).
    Last edited by PiALaModem; 05-21-2005, 10:52 AM. Reason: Thought of something else.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Pokerwinski
    started a topic Cat Lover's Clock Summer 2005 issue - error

Cat Lover's Clock Summer 2005 issue - error

Hi…I just wanted to point out an “error” or inaccuracy in the article to make the Cat Lover’s Clock, which I am about to do.

In the article John Nelson says to tilt the table to the left and make all cuts in a counterclockwise direction. The pull out pattern says to tilt left and cut clockwise. I tried tilting left and cut clockwise. The pieces do not stop when you try to push them up from the bottom to give them the relief effect. They push right out. They will stop when you recess them. (Push them from the top toward the back of the piece.) So I tilted my table to the right and cut clockwise and it worked fine. Of course, if you follow the instructions in the article and tilt left and cut counterclockwise that will work but the pattern throws you off because the arrows point clockwise and the instruction on the pull out says to cut that way AND to tilt left. If you are going to cut clockwise you must tilt right for the piece to protrude out for the relief effect. Which is what I did. Also the pattern used in the pictures for the article clearly has the arrows pointing in a counterclockwise direction. So the pullout pattern supplied by the magazine is changed from the one Nelson used in the article. It worked out fine for me because I tested it but I wanted to point his out to you.

I also wanted to know how John Nelson made the whiskers effect of the cat’s face. Did he draw the dots to represent the whiskers or did he drill holes?

Thanks for your time,

Jeff Pokerwinski

70 Chamberlin Drive

West Seneca, NY 14210

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X