Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior, Junior, Members

Can the board come up with some creative names to replace. For example
    Senior Members could be Master Carvers. In addition, what should the posts count be...

10 Members
    250 Juniors
    500 Senior

I really don't think any of us here is considered as Master Carvers a name reserved for those who ar truely master Carvers. Just like to have seen our old status and Ids stayed as they were.

Comment

I like your thought process to get away from junior, senior, etc. However, in your example to use "Master Carver" I feel would might not be the right direction to take as a reference for an indiviuals board posting activity because it directly relates to a level of ones carving ability.

May I suggest, name the groups after the wood we use, like Basswood, Tupelo, Pine, Oak, Cherry, etc. with the harder wood representing the more active posting members and the softer woods being the new members rankings?

Just a thought for us to expand upon.

Coffeeman

Comment

To use terms like junior and senior, which designate rank, will lead to a lot of posts simply to reach a goal. A lot of talk does not necessarily mean a lot of useful information. Ranking implies ability, but as what talker or carver? We should not go so far as to list anyone as master carver. Even attempting to define this term has proven pretty well impossible on other lists. Why not simply use the tems member and guest?
        Paul Guraedy
        Whooping Hollow Woods
        Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

I was designated as junior member and am now member. Did I get demoted?
          Paul Guraedy
          Whooping Hollow Woods
          Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

They can call me anything they want. Any name/title can't possible be worse the some I've already been called.

Comment

Titles

Ooops!
              I posted this on the wrong thread. So I'll repeat myself:

I don't have much to add about the titles or classifications for us users. I'm opposed to "Mastercarver " because that is a title that is earned with years and level of expertise in carving. I rarely look at the number of postings an individual has--unless they are a professed newbie and then it sometimes explains why they don't understand the "quality level" of humor we share among old friends here.

How about newbie, seasoned, sage, mature (although I not sure I'll ever be considered "mature"--either as a person or a carver!)

Like others, I'm concerned with just the number of postings being used to judge our levels...but other than administration, who would establish these levels on any value other than number of postings?

Donna_T

Comment

Comment

Senior,Junior, Members

I have to agree with Donna it should not have to do with the number of posts. Although I have over 1000 posts I do no way consider myself even close to a master carver. I have been told I have verbal diarrea and talk far too much. In some circles I am considered a senior but that has to do with my age not my ability.
                  I dont think it should matter what your ability is anyway. I can learn from my 11 year old grandson as well as I learn from my 85 year old father. This board is a remarkable place to learn from and I have learnt so much from my visits here.Just my two cents worth.
                  Colin

Comment

I kind of like Bill's answer (coffeeman) newbies...balsa: maybe to 100, general members: basswood:maybe to 300 and oak: at 500?.yew at 1000 and lignum vitae at 1500 ha ha...no mention that way of ability and no reason to do a lot of posting just to be called a different wood! LOL...Good idea Bill! (only problem with this, is everyone new member is going to want to know what balsa, basswood and oak, yew and lignum vitae is LOL
                    Last edited by Hi_Ho_Sliver; 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I am still having trouble understanding the necessity of the ranking. The number of posts are shown on the message board. Why do we also need another methodology?
                      Paul Guraedy
                      Whooping Hollow Woods
                      Alpena, ARkansas

Comment

Hey Ed,
                        I wasn't offended by your suggestion of Master carver. It takes WAY MORE than that to offend me. I think new carvers won't be aware of the Master status any more than they would be of wood titles--We'll just have to educate them somehow. We can use colors, too.

I think the discussion is good and you know, I'll bet we come up with just the right classifications.

Donna_T

Comment

Why can't everyone just be a member? Freshman or senior, who cares we are all part of the group.

Comment

Re: Senior, Junior, Members

I agree with Paul. I see no need for ranking. I had all that I wanted in the military, and can say for sure the rank did not mean ability, leadership, or knowledge. Just a good way for a lot of people to show authority. Maybe I'm to cynical and should mind my manners and not run my mouth so much.

Comment

Re: Senior, Junior, Members

DUDE I could carve for the next 40 years and i still wouldn't be a master carver...lol...rof... look at my handle...2 left feet... that is my coordination at its best....naw junior member doesn't bother me but hack or tooth pick maker seems more fitting! seriously i'm just happy i found this place call me what you will... my ego is intact! thnaks for such a great site!!!
                              Live Long and prosper my friend

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                                Yesterday, 10:01 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                                Yesterday, 09:53 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by will8989
                                Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                                Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                                Yesterday, 08:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X