This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigsaw Puzzle Tutorial: Making a Multi-Layered Puzzle With Figurals

2/21/14 EDIT: Just an update, as I've had a few questions regarding this.

The technique shared in this thread is not the same as the technique I published in SSW&C Spring 2014. In that article, I share the technique for making multilevel puzzles from multilayered individual pieces. In this thread, I am sharing my technique for making multilevel puzzles from multiple individual layers of pieces. The techniques are very different and yield different results, both having their unique advantages and capabilities to surprised the assembler.

Introduction:

Hi, everyone. As promised, I've put together a walk-through tutorial demonstrating the cutting of one of my puzzles. There were requests to show how I do my Figurals, so I have included this into the tutorial as well.

One of the great things about freehand jigsaw puzzle cutting is that there are no hard rules, and there is considerable freedom as to what you can do. As such, there are many different ways to accomplish the goal of making a nice puzzle. This tutorial will show just some of my techniques, but there are certainly other ways to do things, and many of the other fine jigsaw puzzlists here on the Forum or elsewhere may approach the process quite differently.

I've chosen to walk through the cutting of a rather unique type of puzzle; a three-layered wooden jigsaw puzzle with Figurals. I hope this will give some experienced members here some fun ideas, as well as helping people brand new to puzzle cutting aquire some basic concepts.
    Last edited by Scrolling Days; 02-23-2014, 08:23 PM.
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Quite an undertaking. Looking forward to it. Thanks for taking it on.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Looking forward as well.
      Zohar - probably the only one.

Living well is the best revenge

Visit my gallery

Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Comment

The Puzzle Project:

"Greeting the Season" is a three-layered puzzle with 229 pieces, including 9 Figurals and 3 Picture Elements. It was cut from 1/4" 5-ply Poplar.

The puzzle's image features holiday shoppers in an old village setting, making preparations for Christmas and enjoying the festive season.

When completed, the puzzle has three layers of puzzle pieces which will stay fixed in place without sliding. This gives the overall puzzling experience an added level of fun (and difficulty) as well as aesthetically giving it a three dimensional appearance when complete.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

An archway in the middle of the puzzle can be peered into to see the buildings in the background. Just slightly visible, behind the holiday shoppers, the "dreaming" Scrooge Figural can be seen pacing with a candle to light his way, going unnoticed by the villagers.

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

I like what I see so far Shawn. Thank you for doing this.

Comment

Taller buildings can be seen behind the roofline, and hiding atop the Toy Shop, partially behind a dormer, is one of Santa's reindeer, practicing his landings for Christmas Eve.

And what's better this time of year than a few nice christmas snowflakes!

Last edited by Scrolling Days; 12-13-2009, 01:34 PM.
              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

The fun thing about multi-layered puzzles, in addition to adding depth, is that certain "treasures" can hide inside!

If one "looks into" the Toy Shop by uncovering the top layer of pieces, a Teddy Bear Figural and a Toy Train Figural can be found inside, awaiting to be purchased for a special girl or boy.

Buff, my Signature Piece Dragon can be discovered flying about the second floor of the store, looking for some great stuff.

And inside a nearby apartment, a tree has been set up, and decorated nicely.

Each of these "discoveries" will only be known by me, and the puzzle assembler (and in this case, all of you! )
                Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Here are the "special pieces" waiting to be assembled!

That's it for now, folks!

Coming soon: "How To Do It!"

Teaser trailer:

Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Mike, Red and Dale:

Thanks for the encouragement! Feel free to jump in with tips of your own at any point.
                    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

WOW !! can't wait to see more. Those are beautiful. So when you sell something like this - it has 3 puzzles in it? Do they have to figure out what layer goes where or do you have them labelled in some way? Very interesting.
                      Janette
                      www.square-designs.com

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
                        WOW !! can't wait to see more. Those are beautiful. So when you sell something like this - it has 3 puzzles in it? Do they have to figure out what layer goes where or do you have them labelled in some way? Very interesting.
                        Thanks, Janette!

When this is done and boxed, all of the pieces from all three layers will be placed into the box together, without being separated. After assembly, the three layers will hold together without the top portions sliding over the bottom ones. In fact, it could even be hung on a wall as a picture!
                        Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Hi Shawn,

This is a great idea. I've done multi-layer puzzles where the three pictures are different, but not used the same picture multiple times to add depth (and difficulty!).

How do you attach the layers? Do you have some pieces which attach multiple layers together to perform the lock?

--Rob

Comment

Shawn - they were clamoring for a tutorial, not a master's class!

John
                            http://www.puzzlesdelmeeple.com

Comment

Shawn...i am so totally on board and blown away by this puzzle.....you have added another dimension to puzzles......i am ready for the next installment.....you are truly a "puzzle artist.".......

is the next part here yet??....is it?...is it??

Bob
                              "The Journey is the Reward"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jo Labre
                                Reply to How do you "like" a post
                                Jo Labre
                                Like you, I was unable to 'like' for a long time, I only had "quote" and "flag" and then suddenly one day it was there. I don't know if you have to reach a certain milestone of some kind, number of posts or something before the system allows you to 'like'. Since all the other members...
                                Yesterday, 11:30 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to Drill Press question
                                cwmagee
                                I do not know if these leads will help.

Although Harbor Freight tools sells Chicago Electric tools online, to order replacements parts a customer must call Harbor's customer service line at 1-800-444-3353, Monday through Saturday between 5:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. or Sunday between 6:00 a.m....
                                Yesterday, 08:44 PM
                              • dwssr2
                                Reply to Questions for Judy Gale Roberts, Jerry Booher
                                dwssr2
                                Hi,question for Judy, I believe it was Judy how gave a talk at the show last year, she mentioned a pen or pencil she used to sign her work,
                                I was wondering what she used? thanks you dan in Pa...
                                Yesterday, 06:24 PM
                              • Phil J
                                Drill Press question
                                Phil J
                                I very recently acquired an old drill press made by Chicago Power Tools, model DP-558-2. 1/2 HP ,5 speed , 5/8" chuck, and guessing 20 inch. I've Googled, "Binged" and "Asked" looking for info and perhaps an owners manual to no avail. I don't even know if this was one carried...
                                Yesterday, 05:56 PM
                              • Phil J
                                Reply to Drill Press question
                                Phil J
                                Yesterday, 05:56 PM
                              Working...
                              X